California Allows You to Collect Money for a Number of Different Ways That You may Have Been Harmed by a Car Accident

After a serious car accident, there are likely a lot of things going through your mind: “are you physically ok?; is your car safe to be driven?; what responsibility do you have to the other driver and their car?”. It’s only later that you begin to sort out exactly what the ramifications of the accident are going forward, and what you can do about them. The question then becomes “exactly what kind of compensation am I owed when I’ve been the victim of an accident like this?” It’s a question best answered by a competent attorney who knows the in’s and out’s of personal injury law, but here are just a few examples of the types of compensation you may well be owed.

Medical Care

Physical harm from a car accident can range from mild (requiring only minimal medical treatment) to severe (which can mean long-term hospitalization, continuing medical care, and sometimes multiple surgeries). All of these can fall under medical care that you should be compensated for. In addition, things such as crutches, wheelchairs, reconstructive surgery and chiropractic treatments can also fall under this category. What your attorney has to show is that the medical care you required was because of harm caused by the car accident due to the fault of the other driver.

Even if you had a particular sensitivity to a certain type of harm (such as a prior back injury that makes it much easier for your back to be harmed going forward), this does not reduce the amount of compensation you receive if you are harmed in that specific way. Known colloquially as the “eggshell plaintiff” rule, this bit of law makes sure that your unique susceptibility to harm doesn’t mean you are any more deserving of that harm, or that the person who caused it is any less responsible for the outcome (and fixing it). For this reason, even if you have been injured in the past and the recent accident you were in simply re-ignited the same symptoms, you can still be entitled to compensation.

Lost Wages

Another type of injury for which you may be entitled to payment from driver who hit you is compensation for lost wages. Often, when you suffer physical harm from a car accident, that harm can prevent you from being able to go to work or (even if you are able to go) from fulfilling all the typical duties you are expected to carry out at that job. Fortunately, the law allows you to recover money to make up for the loss of income that you experience as a result of your car accident by showing that had it not been for the car accident you would have otherwise been able to earn that income.

Pain and Suffering

Lastly, California law allows you to get from the driver who hit you money to compensate you for a type of injury that can be pretty hard to quantify: that of your pain and suffering. This can include the sharp pain you feel up and down your back because of severe whiplash, or the anxiety you now have to endure every time you get into your car and commute to work ever since the accident. How much discomfort you feel, how long you are expected to feel it for, and how much impact it has on your daily life are just some of the factors the courts look at when determining how much compensation you deserve. Just like the previous two types of injury (and the others which aren’t described here, but for which you can still get compensation), it is imperative that you speak to a skilled attorney after a car accident so that you can adequately be compensated for all the ways a car accident can negatively impact your life.

For over 30 years Slatter Law Firm has been that skilled attorney. We know the steps to take, and will fight to get you (or your loved ones) the compensation you deserve. As a boutique firm, when you call Slatter Law you can speak to real attorneys (not just their secretaries) and even a founding partner -giving you real access to real legal advice when you need it. If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, please call us today for your free consultation at (310) 444-3010 or toll-free at (888) 293-0404.