Hotel Slip and Falls
Slip and falls occur on various premises. One of the most common locations for these falls is a hotel. These falls are often caused by slippery surfaces, unsafe stairways, inadequate lighting, faulty handrails, and other defective conditions. These falls may result in substantial physical injuries, medical bills, and lost income. The experienced attorneys at the Slatter Law Firm will aggressively fight to recover the maximum compensation for your injuries.
Slip and falls at hotels are governed by the laws of negligence. As a business, hotels owe a duty of care to any individual on their premises. This duty requires hotels to routinely and appropriately inspect their facilities for any unsafe conditions. Hotels must repair or warn of any dangerous conditions, including those that suddenly appear, such as liquids spilled on hotel restaurant floors.
In order to establish that the hotel was negligent, your slip and fall attorney must show the following:
- The hotel premises was in an unsafe condition;
- The hotel owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition;
- The hotel owner failed to repair or warn of the dangerous condition within a reasonable time; and
- The hotel owner’s failure to repair or warn of the dangerous condition was the legal cause of your injury.
Slip and falls often result in significant physical injuries that require lengthy medical treatment. Victims of hotels slip and falls are entitled to compensation for their injuries. If you are injured in a slip and fall at a hotel, you may recover compensation for the following:
- Medical bills;
- Future medical treatment
- Loss of income;
- Loss of earning potential;
- Scars or disfigurement; and
- Pain and suffering.
Slip and falls may result in the fatal loss of a loved one. In such tragic circumstances, the surviving heirs can file a wrongful death lawsuit. In a wrongful death case, the decedent’s surviving heirs includes the decedent’s spouse, domestic partner, and children. The decedent’s parents and stepchildren may also file a wrongful death lawsuit if they can demonstrate that they were financial dependent on the decedent. In a wrongful death case, the surviving heirs are entitled to inherit:
- Funeral and burial expenses;
- Loss of financial support that the decedent would have contributed to his or her family during the decedent’s life expectancy;
- Loss of household services that the decedent would have provided; and
- Loss of consortium, which is the loss of companionship and sexual relations with the decedent.
Generally, lawsuits must be filed in Court within the applicable statute of limitations. Slip and fall cases must be filed within two years from the date of injury. If the plaintiff fails to file their lawsuit within such period of time, his or her case will be dismissed by the Court. As such, you should immediately contact a slip and fall attorney after your injury occurs.Contact Us Today
Insurance adjusters’ jobs are not to help you. Their objective is to take advantage of you by minimizing the amount of compensation for your injuries. Do not allow this to happen. Contact a Los Angeles personal injury attorney today if you or a loved one suffered a slip and fall at a hotel. The Slatter Law Firm has been helping individuals injured due to slip and falls throughout Los Angeles and Southern California for over four decades. To schedule a free consultation, call our office at (310) 444-3010 or contact us online.